Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Food, Wine, Sunshine


My parents laugh at the fact that I cook AND I drink wine. They laugh for a good reason. If you would have asked me two years ago to pick up an apron and knife and get in the kitchen, I would have responded with something like "I'm not your housewife, make your own food!" I hated cooking. More than that, I thought cooking was something I would never do for anyone (and apparently not even myself). At that time, cooking involved adding milk to my favorite cereal and slapping smoked turkey slices in between bread. Rather than cook, the boyfriend and I ate out almost every day of the week. We ate Chinese, Indian, Jamaican, burgers, etc. I enjoyed eating out, and so did my belly. I gained weight. Lots of it.

So, how did I develop this love of cooking? Well, the changing point was when I had three strangers ask me if I was pregnant. Me, pregnant? Okay, so I did have a pot belly and I did wear form-fitting shirts. So, their statement wasn't totally out in left field. (Just a hint, please don't ask women if they are pregnant unless you absolutely know 100% for sure) At first, I laughed if off. But after looking at my belly in the mirror, I saw what these people saw. This was the drive I needed to get out and exercise, gain knowledge about food, and to cook! Now, I am finding pleasure in cooking, tasting food, and learning about it in the process.

I have also grown an appreciation for a great glass of wine (and an occasional beer). The boyfriend and I are always trying new wines through wine tastings and wine bars. The more wine you taste, the more likely you'll find one you'll love.

Life is to be enjoyed. And, I'm having a good time at doing just that. This blog will share with you my love of food, wine, and getting outdoors and enjoying life. Feel free to post comments and send emails. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

The Budget Babe said...

welcome to the blogging world! i may blog about fashion but wine and food are two of my greatest passions. looking forward to all your wine picks and recipes!