Thursday, August 13, 2009

Recipe: Roasted pepper stuffed with spiced couscous


The other day, I was at the gym doing my regular workout of weight training and cardio. Usually, between exercises I rest for a minute or two to catch my breathe. During my break, I read the advertisements for health that are posted on the walls. The ads usually cover a myriad of topics including exercises, eating tips, stress relieving ideas, and ways to lead a happier life. A recipe for stuffed peppers caught my eye. So, I logged the recipe in the back of my mind to try at a future date.

The spiced couscous recipe comes from a cookbook entitled Food Made Fast: Vegetarian. I actually bought this book for 5 bucks at Ross!! They had tons of cookbooks by the way. The recipe from the book uses squash instead of peppers. I added a few changes, but the results were delicious. The recipe is simple, healthy, and has wonderful flavors from the cinnamon and ginger. The raisins, apples, and almonds add great texture as well as flavor.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes (or less)

Ingredients:
*2 -4 different colored peppers (I used red and yellow)
*1 T Olive oil
*1 cup vegetable broth (I used chicken broth because that was what I had on hand. If you use vegetable broth, this would truly be a vegetarian meal)
* 3/4 cup couscous
*1/2 t ground cinnamon
*1/4 t ground ginger
*3 T toasted sliced almonds
*2 T dried raisins
*2 green onions finely chopped (white and green parts)
*1/2 golden delicious apple cored and chopped
* 1/2 t Salt
* pepper (to taste)

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350degrees.
2. Cut peppers in half and remove the flesh from the inside. Place on a baking pan, cut side down. Brush with olive oil.
3. Cook the peppers in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, boil the vegetable broth in a small pot. Stir in the couscous, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and pepper. (Hint: The couscous absorbs the broth quickly. So, either stir in the seasonings first and then the couscous or have all of your seasonings pre-measured in a small bowl so that you can dump them in right away).
5. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed).
6. While the couscous sits, toast the almonds in a small saucepan on medium high heat. Stir constantly so that the almonds do not burn. Cook until fragrant.
6. When couscous is ready, stir in the almonds, raisins, onions, and apple into the couscous.
7. Stuff the peppers with couscous. Stick in the oven for an additional 2 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy.

This recipe is so easy and extremely healthy!

No comments: